Friday, September 22, 2023

A is for ANOTHER NEW BEGINNING #PoetryMonth and #AtoZChallenge

ANOTHER NEW BEGINNING
70 Poems for 70 days available at Amazon
 

70 poems for 70 days is a collection of linked poems. They are patterned after renshi poetry, which links each poem to the next. I introduced these poems during an #AtoZChallenge for bloggers during a  poetry month of April. I wrote each poem as part of a larger project, linking the poems together renshi-style. However, the poems are being posted here with an eye toward the alphabet, as viewing things through a different set of eyes often gives one a new perspective. I am eager to see how my poetry presents itself when removed from the structured context. May this prove to be an interesting experiment for everyone.

********** 

The impetus for this collection of poetry was an occurrence still fresh in my mind. The ink for my first poem fairly spilled onto the page as I recalled the words of a nice college-aged young man who had sauntered over to me at a Honolulu bus stop on June 11th, King Kamehameha Day. 




Lei draping on King Kamehameha Day

 
The young man offered me a tiny yellow blossom. He smiled and said, “A beautiful flower for a beautiful lady.” I’m sure my appearance reminded him of  his (exceptionally alert  and  spry)grandmother. Perhaps he was feeling nostalgic for home. I accepted the flower and smiled back. With a light step, he departed, and I felt he had made the world a brighter place for having shared his joie de vivre.
 
                          **********
 
 
A Tiny Flower
 
Gold, each tiny petal
unites to form the helmet
of a flower’s bloom.
 
Together, their beauty
like solid sunshine
takes my breath away
 
A kind word, shared
without expectation, forms
a binding link to the universe.
 
Gazes remain fixed
as I board TheBus in silence
and still smiling, take my seat
 
Air brakes lift
We roll forward, and
the universe smiles back.

 **********

Gold, each tiny petal
 
 **********

9 comments:

  1. It's amazing what a tiny gesture can do for another person, isn't it! I think you need to add a title such as A is for, to show viewers were your A-Z posts are - it took me ages to work out that the A was simply the 'A' in the title of the poem! Liz http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. Sure glad you caught that before this was on W or X. Another tiny gesture that is greatly appreciated!

      Delete
  2. What a great way to celebrate poetry month and the A-Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem and a great theme choice!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pleased to hear you like my theme choice, Debbie. Thanks for visiting and I will be checking out your site for "B" as I already enjoyed your "A".

      Delete
  4. Beautiful poem. I love the message of small gestures making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Sreesha. Small gestures can mean so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A simple but important message.
    Never underestimate the power of a small acts of kindness. It costs nothing but may be just what somebody needs at that particular moment.
    Writer In Tranait

    ReplyDelete