Tuesday, October 3, 2023

I is for IMAGINE #AtoZChallenge Poetry

April #AtoZChallenge and #PoetryMonth
 
Three goals I had in mind while writing my collection of linked poetry:
1. To celebrate my appreciation of life
2. To experience the process of writing linked poetry, a form of Japanese renshi
3. To give thanks for and better appreciate a life well-lived.
 
The flowers are a colorful bonus for the #AtoZChallenge
 
***   ***   ***

I is for Imagine and Iris
 
 
IMAGINE

Imagine
sinking
into steaming water.
So relaxed you cannot move. 

Egrets
turn the air white
with swirling feathers.
Ever moving, while you remain still. 

Fearful
of sprouting roots,
you ask forgiveness.
And vow to stop the madness.* 

*Within this context, the madness represents society’s expectation that one must always be actively productive (or could it be your expectation of yourself?)
 
 

8 comments:

  1. We put so much pressure on ourselves to be productive.
    Confession time: I do this with writing, because I'm a 'late bloomer' and feel that I've missed many years of writing which I have to make up for. Sounds silly, but it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my, Michelle, how I can relate to what you just "confessed" !!
      Not silly at all, just a fact. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Hi Gail - our expectations are usually beyond our bounds, except if we take one step at a time ... I do what I can - but do take time out. Imagine ... I loved John Lennon's song 'Imagine ... '

    Also re Michelle's comment above - I'm a really late bloomer re finding a voice and can then only do what we can when we can ... cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/i-is-for-ice-age-art.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Hilary, we do what we can do. And then we decide we can do some more!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful poem.I'm glad I happened upon your blog in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for finding me, Sue! I look forward to following your A-Z posts now, also. I see you really like movies so it will be fun to read your write-ups.

      Delete
  4. Lovely imagery! The poem seems like such an invitation to relax - or maybe I'm projecting because I've been slacking on self care lately and have decided to allow myself to scale back...

    Happy A to Z! :)
    Tui
    My A to Z posts are here: TuiSnider.com
    Also, A to Z posts from the #StoryDam Writing Community are here: StoryDam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on giving yourself permission to scale back and relax, Tui. It is so easy to mess up a good lazy day with guilty feelings.

      Delete