Tuesday, October 10, 2023

O is for ORAL FIREWORKS #PoetryMonth

April #AtoZChallenge and #PoetryMonth
 
Three goals I had in mind while writing my collection of linked poetry:
1. To celebrate my appreciation of life
2. To experience the process of writing linked poetry, a form of Japanese renshi
3. To give thanks for and better appreciate a life well-lived.
 
The flowers are a colorful bonus for the #AtoZChallenge
 
***   ***   ***
 
 O is for Oral Fireworks and Orchids 

Photo I snapped at an orchid garden on Big Island
 
 
ORAL FIREWORKS
 
Hand-knit mohair sweater
Still a treasure,
though an outgrown style. 

Sugar-coated jelly slices
Stuck between the teeth,
don’t smile. 

Oral fireworks of
Nehi Orange-Ade
on a first date. 

Teen memories bear weight,
Adults cannot carry,
and nothing can replace. 

Relive,
pretend,
embellish. 

You are but once sweet sixteen.

***   ***   ***
 
I still have that hand-knit sherbet-orange mohair sweater with the six-inch wide collar that my mom knit for me! Which item have you saved from your teen years that holds such strong memories that you pack it up to take with you every time you move?

 

4 comments:

  1. To be honest? My very limited sixteen-year-old wardrobe means I didn't get to hang onto anything. LOL
    Wonderful poem!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because I did wear hand-me-downs, I was glad to have something of my own.

      Delete
  2. Hi Gail - books?! Clothes no ... they've changed ... though I did use one of my mother's blouses as a kid - it was orange and purple - loved the colours!!! Cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/o-is-for-orkney-islands-adapted-breeds.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attractive combination, Hilary, orange and purple. Makes me think of Prince.

    ReplyDelete