Monday, April 24, 2017

T is for TOGETHER #AtoZ Poetry

April #AtoZChallenge and #PoetryMonth
 
Three goals I had in mind while writing my collection of linked poetry:
1. To celebrate my appreciation of life
2. To experience the process of writing linked poetry, a form of Japanese renshi
3. To give thanks for and better appreciate a life well-lived.
 
The flowers are a colorful bonus for the #AtoZChallenge
 
***   ***   ***
 
 T is for Together and Tulips
 
 
Together 

Writing is a solitary activity
sitting alone for hours
at typewriter or computer
with tablet or notepad.
Inside the author’s head
drumming up ideas
scenarios, settings,
a plot slowly forms.
Characters dance and
story line develops.
Everything comes together
to build tension and
create meaning.
To tell an engaging tale
and elicit smiles, or tears. 

A solitary pursuit evolves
Becoming society’s pleasure.
 
***   ***   ***

Whether you hold strictly to writing everything by hand using pen and notepad, or you prefer to type everything directly into your computer/word processor, the process is a solitary activity. Do you later share the fruits of your labor or keep them tucked away from prying eyes?  

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gail - mine are mainly here in posts - with many a draft sitting around in the machine - for some reason I can only put things down here - means I can 'mess around' chopping, redrafting, etc etc ... but it is a solitary process - yet we have so much to offer others on things we've found out - no need to say where the ideas came from!! No problem with conversation ... telling 'an engaging tale and elecit smiles' ... that I've done with my mother and uncle in their terminal years ... cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/t-is-for-turkey.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it's better to do the drafting on a computer Word document (I typed an entire post on my blog site today, only to delete the entire thing while trying to adjust a photo.) How wonderful that you were able to share stories with your mother and uncle at such an important time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love long hand!!
    My flash fiction normally unfolds via stream-of-consciousness styled writing, using a picture/word prompt, pen and paper. For me, it's the most effective method.
    I love the tulips. They remind me of Amsterdam.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to hear when writers continue to record their thoughts with pen and paper. The computer becomes quite impersonal at times, comparable to voicing an opinion on the internet without the repercussion of censorship.

    ReplyDelete